Replacing a Lost Registration

Home /Replacing a Lost Registration

Replacing a Lost Registration Card

If any of your vehicle registration documents—license plates, registration car, or license plate stickers—have been lost, stolen, or damaged, you should apply for replacements with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) as soon as you can.

If you drive your car without your license plates, registration stickers, or registration card, you run the risk of being pulled over by a law enforcement officer and receiving a traffic ticket, fines, and a possible vehicle impoundment. If your registration documents are damaged beyond the point of being able to read them, it is just the same as if you were driving without them.